Second Week Of July In Which All Hell Breaks Loose and My Dad Cooks



Food Mood: When the cops are called to your house, let your dad cook

Reno Ridiculouso:  Just.  I can’t even.  You’ll just have to read it for yourself

Kiddo and I have headed out to my parent’s great lakes paradise house to get out of the Hubby’s way and enjoy a little time on the beach.  And then ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!

I’ve known for a while that Hubby was feeling more than averagely anxious.  He was spending a lot of time remeasuring things that Bull Talker Contractor had built and asking Bull Talker a lot of questions. There were several things that Bull Talker and his crew had built strangely that the Hubby was questioning.  Right off the top on the first day on the foundations there’d been the situation with the Unnamed Young Men laying the blocks directly on top of each other instead of offset.  (again, who the bleep does this!  I don’t build shit and there’s no way that I’d do this!)  

But, all that being said, when the Kiddo and I leave the walls are going up and all seems wellish.(what? It's a word!  Shut up, it is too! )
  
And then, on a lovely summers afternoon, Hubby calls.  Hey, so if the neighbours call you about the cops showing up, don’t worry I have it under control.  Sorry,WHAT!!!????   I’m on my way to do something with the family so I tell him to settle the heck down and that I’ll call later.  As I hang up a feeling of dread is hanging over my head and I can hardly even think straight anymore.  But, I trust the Hubby and I trust my neighbours to support him and so I leave it be until I have time for a full conversation later in the night.

Late that night when the Kiddo finally has the sand dusted off her and has gone to sleep, I call the Hubby back.  He is drinking on He Who Watches porch with a collection of the neighbours, all of which is good.
 
And out it comes.  While Hubby was at work Bull Talker put up the beams.  He refused the architects direction, put them up running the opposite way and then, piece de resistance, screwed them into the siding.  All of this overtop of the dodgy kitchen beam which we and the architect had continually insisted must be replaced first.  Our new addition is hanging off of our siding, overtop of a termite degraded beam.  The only good news in this story is that it’s all roped off and no one can go anywhere near it (my first question and the Hubby’s first action.  Safety First people, safety first). 

The Hubby and Bull Talker had a god awful fight (that I’m told began as a conversation) about how this was not what the drawing showed, not good structurally and in every way unacceptable.  Bull Talker in his inevitable way had talked fast and furious about how he knew better than the architect and the Hubby and that he’d been doing this for twenty years and never had a complaint.  The truly galling thing is that he and Hubby had repetitively agreed on how it was to be built (in emails too, so there’s evidence) and the drawings were explicit and Bull Talker just chose not to do as agreed.  (Later, when we think back on this moment we conclude that Bull Talker had another bigger job to get to that he’d mentioned and the he completely did this on purpose).  

At the end of the fight Bull Talker tells the Hubby that his work here is done, he won’t change it and he starts packing up all his tools.  The Hubby grabs a piece of paper and writes a quick document for Bull Talker stating that he is aware that the client is not happy, it was not built to spec, and that he will return and complete it as per architects designs.  Bulll Talker refuses.  And then the Hubby stood in front of Bull Talker’s pick up truck in our driveway and refused to allow him to leave.  And then Bull Talker called the cops.  

So, the cops came and the neighbours gathered on He Who Watches porch to make sure that there are witnesses.  Half an hour passes, the neighbours get the Hubby coffee and he stands in front of the truck drinking it.  The neighbours, god love them, keep him cool headed by shouting pleasantries across and generally encouraging a carnival atmosphere.  Can I say again what good people they are and how we would never get by without them?

The cops come, they agree that it’s a matter for the courts now, ask Bull Talker to sign the doc which they agree is reasonable.  He refuses and the police let the Hubby know that he has to let Bull Talker leave now.
 
After all this drama, the Hubby repairs to He Who Watches porch and the liquor and cigars come out.  At some point, someone feeds him.  In fact over the next week that Kiddo and I are away the neighbours feed him all week.  At home in Lake Huron Heaven, my father feeds me as he always has done when I’m down.

Dad Bacon and Eggs
I don't know the recipe, that's why it's "dad bacon and eggs".  Your dad ( or mom, or other loving person who cares not that you aren't functioning) makes it.  So don't ask me for the recipe. 
Get your own damned "person who cares"!  :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biblical Plagues and the Doors Part Three

Subfloors and Pho